8 Best Destinations for Trout Fishing in the U.S. [Plus Bonus Destinations Below]
- Frying Pan River, Colorado.
- Henry’s Fork, Idaho.
- White River, Arkansas.
- Bighorn River, Montana.
- Green River, Utah.
- Deschutes River, Oregon.
- Beaverkill River, New York.
- Connecticut River, Vermont New Hampshire.
- 1 Which state has the best trout fishing?
- 2 Where are the best trout streams in America?
- 3 What state has the most wild trout streams?
- 4 Where is the biggest trout caught in the US?
- 5 Which western state has the best trout fishing?
- 6 Which states have trout fishing?
- 7 What river has the most trout per mile?
- 8 Where do trout like to live?
- 9 Where can you trout fish in the Midwest?
- 10 Which state has the best fishing?
- 11 What is the biggest trout caught in the world?
- 12 Where is the best trout fishing in New York State?
- 13 Where is the trout capital of the world?
- 14 What are the best trout lures?
- 15 Where can I find a large brook trout?
Which state has the best trout fishing?
As trout season opens around the U.S., a thought experiment on the top 10 flyfishing states in the country, listed in no particular order.
- Florida. Florida is hands-down the best saltwater flyfishing destination in the States.
- New York. I’m biased.
Where are the best trout streams in America?
America’s Top Ten Trout Streams
- Gallatin River (Yellowstone National Park and Montana)
- Missouri River (Montana)
- Madison River (Yellowstone National Park and Montana)
- White River-Bull Shoals Tailwater (Arkansas)
- Connecticut River, (New Hampshire and Vermont)
- Niagara River.
- Beaverkill River.
What state has the most wild trout streams?
Alaska. It is only fitting that the country’s largest state is also home to a ridiculous amount of water that is home to an even larger amount of massive rainbow trout and wild steelhead.
Where is the biggest trout caught in the US?
Yellowstone River (Montana) The longest undammed river in the Lower 48, the Yellowstone offers some of the best trout fishing not only in America but on the planet.
Which western state has the best trout fishing?
Though it’s the last state on our list, Wyoming has some of the best trout fishing in the United States. While the Wind River Range, Tetons, Bighorn Mountains, and several other regions all offer world-class trout angling, we think the best of it is centered right in Yellowstone Park.
Which states have trout fishing?
The percent of freshwater anglers that fish for trout varied widely by state — from less than 6 percent in low participation states such as Alabama, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, and South Carolina to greater than 80 percent in Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Utah, Washington and Wyoming (Table 2).
What river has the most trout per mile?
San Juan River, New Mexico, Colorado, and Utah The San Juan is no doubt one of the best trout streams in the country, with nearly 15,000 fish per mile.
Where do trout like to live?
Trout are usually found in cool (50–60 °F or 10–16 °C), clear streams and lakes, although many of the species have anadromous strains as well. Young trout are referred to as troutlet, troutling or fry. They are distributed naturally throughout North America, northern Asia and Europe.
Where can you trout fish in the Midwest?
- Au Sable River Michigan The best brown fishery east of the Rockies.
- Crane Creek Missouri Best known for the McCloud strain of Rainbow.
- Little Manistee River Michigan Known for the most diverse species.
- Mad River Ohio A clear river with brown and brook trout.
Which state has the best fishing?
Best States for Fishing
- Alaska. King Salmon reigns supreme: Alaska came in first place for the best place to fish in the U.S. The photo shows a brown bear hunting for fish at Katmai National Park in King Salmon, Alaska, on August 14, 2020.
- Rhode Island.
- New Mexico.
What is the biggest trout caught in the world?
The world record rainbow trout title belongs to Canadian fisher Sean Konrad. The International Game Fish Association’s (IGFA) record book now lists his 48-pound, 42-inch catch as the biggest ever rainbow trout specimen – a true world record trout.
Where is the best trout fishing in New York State?
5 Great New York Trout Streams
- UPPER GENESEE RIVER. When I ask fly-fishing friends about the upper Genesee River, they often act puzzled.
- OWASCO INLET.
- NINE MILE CREEK.
- CHITTENANGO CREEK.
- CHATEAUGAY RIVER.
Where is the trout capital of the world?
IN Gore, a town of 12,500 on the South Island of New Zealand, street signs proclaim that the visitor has arrived in the world capital of brown trout.
What are the best trout lures?
Check out our round up of the 20 best trout lures of all time.
- Rebel Wee-Craw. Rebel Wee-Craw Rebel.
- Berkley Gulp! Trout Worm.
- Lindy Fuzz-E Grub. Lindy Fuzz-E Grub Lindy.
- Smithwick Rattlin’ Rogue. Smithwick Rattlin’ Rogue Smithwick.
- Rebel Tracdown Minnow.
- Strike King Bitsy Minnow.
- Luhr-Jensen Hus Lure.
- Rapala Count Down.
Where can I find a large brook trout?
If a stream is cold enough, brook trout will be present in most of it, but shallower areas with no cover will usually be dominated by the little guys. The larger, adult fish are usually found in the best habitats. Likely locations include deep plunge pools created by waterfalls, large boulders, or downed trees.